How To Choose A Lawyer
You must do your research when making this critical decision. Determine first what your legal needs are and find a lawyer with experience and expertise in that field. Ed Flores is a former Orange County Senior Deputy District Attorney. If you need a criminal defense or injury lawyer, for example, you will want to know if your lawyer has actually tried a case in front of a jury! Credibility is key. Here are a few points to consider:
- Visit the lawyer’s website and determine if he or she has the credentials, affiliations and experience to meet your needs.
- Ask for referrals from people whose opinion you respect.
- Meet with the lawyer. Are you confident that he or she has the experience to handle your case? Remember that you will be spending time working with your lawyer to achieve your goals – will you be comfortable working with this person?
- What is the lawyer’s reputation in the community? If you are seeking a criminal defense attorney, for example, you will want a lawyer with a good working relationship with the prosecutor and one who has a reputation that commands respect.
- Use your common sense and gut instincts to evaluate your lawyer. The bottom line is that you want to be comfortable with your lawyer. This comfort stems from confidence in your lawyer’s abilities. You will only know this after speaking with him or her and doing your research.
The criminal laws of California change frequently and the information provided should not be relied upon as legal advice. Contact a criminal law attorney for legal assistance in all matters of the law.